Give To Jon and Anna's church

Monday, January 4, 2016

Allison's 2015 Top Five

2015 went out with a bang...if the definition of a 'bang' is a party at the Schmeeckle's apartment complete with dancing, lots of children, and way too much food. In the spirit of the new year (resolutions and nostalgia and all that jazz), I thought I'd compile my personal 'Top Five Bolivar Moments' list for your reading enjoyment. Without further ado:

5. Cleaning out the garage, July: This might seem like a very mundane, even boring moment in time to add to a top ten list, but it was one of my favorite moments. We all got together on a Saturday morning and emptied out our entire three car garage. We managed to find some fun stuff, and we organized until our bodies simply couldn't take it anymore. But it was a fun Saturday spent with housemates, and that's what living in community is all about.

4. Painting the entry way, February: In February, while the Schmeeckle's enjoyed fun in the sun on their Make-A-Wish trip to Hawaii, we managed to completely transform the entry way. Having lived with the Barney-esque green and purple for far too long, we decided it was time for an upgrade. Friends came to help, and in a truly wonderful group effort, we managed to sand and refinish all the wood floors, re-carpet the first floor entry, and paint everything a much more appealing shade of blue, with brown accents. Selfishly, I loved this particular event because my dad got to come help from Omaha, and get a sense for what the house was all about.

3. Football Parties, September-November: Now, I personally don't care about football all that much. I know, I know. I'm from Nebraska, isn't it a sin to admit that I'm not personally touched by a Husker win or loss? This year I enjoyed football immeasurably more than I ever have, because we managed to get together as some of the house for most of the games. Todd set up the TV outside on the patio, we grilled out and the kids ran around like crazy playing. I guess at this point you might be able to tell that most of the top five moments involve our house spending time together. It's definitely a common theme.

2.Moving upstairs, December: Now, this list item is extremely selfish, but as this is my personal top five list I think that's alright. Perhaps I'll convince someone else to compile a top five list, and you can have a more balanced representation of a year in the life at the Bolivar house. When I moved in to the Bolivar house, I didn't think it could get much better. When I moved upstairs a year and a half later, I was proven wrong. Being on the first floor, in an apartment with more space, has truly been a blessing. I love being able to pop next door and talk to Jon or Anna without having to climb stairs, which takes away one of my best excuses not to ask for help or just say hi.

And, drum roll please, number one is...

1. Make-A-Wish backyard renovation, March-August: In March, Make-A-Wish installed a beautiful wooden playground in the backyard for Deb and Todd's son Mikey. It was such a fun day, watching Mikey's excitement over the whole thing was good enough to make this item number one. But wait, there's more! In June there was a servant Sunday project to remove the hedges from the backyard, adding square footage and opening up the yard to passersby. Adam and his parents installed a beautiful patio. Then, Simon's Make-A-Wish playground got installed, and it made the whole backyard feel like a huge park. The whole project made our backyard such a fun, happy place to be in community as a house and with our friends, family and neighbors. That's what makes it number one on this list, because without it so many other wonderful moments from this year wouldn't exist.

I hope you had fun reading back on the year from my perspective. I also hope that it inspires you to look back on your own year and see what shining moments you can remember. 2016 is already off to a great start around here, I pray it's off to a great start for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment