Give To Jon and Anna's church

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Moving On Up

The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind. As will happen in the house, I relocated to a different apartment at the beginning of December. Things like this tend to happen, the people stay the same, the apartments change. In my time with the house (as in, my time knowing the people at the house) there have been a handful of relocations: Daniel, an old house member, moved from the basement, to the first floor, to the second floor before he moved. The Keyzers moved from the first floor, to the second floor, back to the first floor (different apartment) where they are now. Rachel and Aneroy moved from one basement apartment to the other. Adam moved from the first floor to the second floor. 

And now I've joined that club, moving from the basement to the first floor. Overnight I went from having three windows that were always covered to having a window in every room (including my bathroom!). I am so enjoying having more space, and it's turned out to be a huge blessing to have sunlight and high ceilings. In twenty-four hours time I moved all of my boxes and belongings upstairs. I went up and down the stairs so many times that I lost count (but my thighs sure didn't the next day). 

I was reminded again through the whole things just how great community (especially ours) is. On Tuesday night when I started moving small stuff, Anna (who was doing her laundry at the time) carried a few boxes for me, and helped me walk around the first floor apartment making sure all the windows were locked. The next day, as my friends helped me move, countless people stopped in to say 'hi' and see if we needed any help. Todd and Jon lifted my couch out the window in the basement and put it in my new apartment for me. Throughout the whole move and after, the house has been there for me. I don't know how I would have done it if I didn't have such great support.

That can be said for a lot of areas of my life this last year and a half at the house. It's more than just having roommates, or housemates. The house isn't just living with people I happen to know. It's living with people who know me, who support me in everything I do, and help me when I need someone to lean on. I've probaby said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but I would not be half the person I've become this year if it weren't for the house. That's one of the things I'm most thankful for this Christmas season. I hope you're having a wonderful December, and a blessed Holiday season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment