Give To Jon and Anna's church

Friday, November 20, 2015

The Bat in the Basement

Our house was built a long, long time ago. If I'm remembering correctly, Todd said it was somewhere in  or around the early 1900s, with renovations in the 1930s. That puts our house at about... 'very old' in dog years. In house years, I believe it is in it's prime (maybe it's second or third prime). Living in an old house means living with a lot of quirks (and I'm not just talking about the people...haha). 

I moved to the house from Omaha, and didn't have a job in Lincoln until two months after I moved. This meant commuting to and from Omaha four days a week, which translates to very little sleep for me. So, when I finally got a job in Lincoln, I was almost more excited to sleep in than I was to go to work on my first day (understandably). The house, however, had different plans.

At two o'clock in the morning the Monday I was supposed to start my new job, I woke up to the sounds of an animal...in my apartment. I don't own any pets, so you could see how this could be a little alarming. My first instinct, of course, was to turn on the light. But as it turns out, bats don't like it very much when you turn on the light. That's right: the animal noise (which I truly thought was a mouse) was in fact a bat. I was terrified, and still half asleep, so I had absolutely no idea what to do.

What do you do when there's a bat flying around your apartment? 

The answer is this: you find your phone and call Todd, then get out as quickly as possible. That was the plan, and it worked pretty well...until I realized that my bed was barricaded in by my couch, because I was in the middle of painting my living room. So, not only did I have to make my way to the door without contracting rabbis, I had to make it over my couch, past the bookcases and around the chair before I could finally unlock my door and take a sigh of relief from the hallway. 

Todd came to my rescue a couple minutes later weilding the 'bat catching kit' (a plastic ice cream bucket and a large piece of cardboard). We never did find the bat; I like to think he made it safely back into the wilderness of Lincoln.

Needless to say, I slept at Todd and Deb's for a week. I didn't exactly get to sleep in that first morning at my new job, but I had some great stories to tell my new co-workers. Explaining over lunch that you're tired because of the bat that woke you up in the middle of the night is a great way to break the ice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment